Importing Goods Into the Netherlands

Removal Goods

When you move to the Netherlands, you are generally entitled to take your removal goods along without paying taxes on these goods. There is a difference between moving to the Netherlands from an EU country or from a non-EU country. When moving from a non-EU country, to import your removal goods tax-free into the Netherlands, you need a form ‘Exemption permit for removal goods'. This form and more information regarding specific obligations can be found on the website of the Douane (Dutch Customs).

When you move, you might also need to arrange several matters regarding the export of your removal goods in your country of departure. Please ask the authorities in the country of departure or your removal company for details well ahead of your moving date.

Cars and Motorcycles

In general, you do not have to pay import taxes on your car or motorcycle when you move to the Netherlands. You can apply for an exemption from the Dutch Customs to import your car with a foreign registration number tax-free into the Netherlands. For this, you use the form: application form for a License granting exemption from BPM (Belasting van Personenauto's en Motorrijwielen/Private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax) upon moving.

For more information check the website of the Dutch Customs, in particular the sections on removal goods and Private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax (bpm).

Official Partners: Taxation