Registration at the Municipality

Once you are in the Netherlands and you are of the intent to reside in the Netherlands for a longer duration than four continuous months in a six-month period you will need to fully register in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) in the municipality where you live. This appointment should be made within five days after your arrival in the Netherlands. In case you make use of the services of an expat center, you can also register in the BRP at the expat center.

Registering in the BRP means that you are added to the Dutch population register. After a visit to the municipality or expat center, you will get a  provisional proof of registration. If you have a partner and/or children, they will also need to be registered. Such registration can only take place in person.

The municipal employee at the municipality or at the expat center will complete your registration. At that moment, you will also be issued a Burger Service Number or abbredivated BSN (Civil Service Number), which will be issued to you or sent by post to your home address.

A BSN is a unique number which you can use to communicate with Dutch government agencies and is needed by your employer in order to pay your wages. 

You must take the following documents to your appointment in person: 
  • EU citizens must have a valid passport or identity card. 

  • Non-EU citizens must have a valid residence permit or be in the process of applying for one and a valid passport. 

  • Applicants must reside in the municipality where they have the registration appointment and need a tenancy agreement, or signed statement and a photo copy of the passport of the main occupant, stating that they are allowed to register at that address, or a document that proves that they are the owner of a house, a deed of ownership or a deed of transfer. 

  • Applicants need a (legalised) original copy of their birth certificate.* 

  • Applicants need a (legalised) original copy of their marriage certificate or unmarried certificate.* Such document cannot be older than 6 months. 

Important: If the document is written in a language other than Dutch, English, German or French, a translation must be provided by a sworn translator. For more information about legalisation of documents, check the website of the Dutch government.  

To make an appointment for population registration in the municipality of Eindhoven, go to the website of the municipality of Eindhoven, or contact Holland Expat Center South.

Official Partners