Private Insurances

In the Netherlands, it is common to have several private insurances. Some of them are mandatory, like Health Insurance and the Third Party/Liability Insurance for your Motorvehicle (WA verzekering). Most insurances are not mandatory, but may be recommendable to have.

Ongevallenverzekering (Accident Insurance)

Insures against bodily injury or death because of an accident and the expenses entailed in these events.

Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering Particulieren, AVP (Personal Liability Insurance)

This insurance protects a person or entity from claims initiated by another party. For instance, if you or one of your family members unintentionally causes damage to another person or another person’s property. Although there are people in the Netherlands who think this is a compulsory insurance, it is NOT.

Inboedelverzekering (Household Contents Insurance)

Covers damage to your household goods caused by fire, burglary, explosion, storms, water, and various other factors. The sum insured will usually be subject to average, so it is important that your sum insured is up to date. Residential Premises Insurance Persons who bought a house with a mortgage, are obliged to take out an Opstalverzekering

Opstalverzekering (Residential Premises Insurance)

If you have bought an apartment, your homeowners association should normally provide the insurance. It ensures the costs to rebuild your house on the same property in case of serious destruction.

Overlijdensrisicoverzekering (Life Insurance Mortgage)

If you buy a house and take out a mortgage, it is often required to take out a life insurance connected to the mortgage as well. In that case, the burden to your survivors and the risk for the bank is relieved a bit. Your survivors can continue to live in your house and the bank is assured of a continued payment.

Rechtsbijstandsverzekering (Legal Assistance Insurance)

An increasingly popular insurance in the Netherlands, this insurance may provide the coverage (worldwide) for the costs of legal disputes. Depending on the coverage you choose, it can cover legal assistance in disputes to social, contractual, labor law, consumer’s conflicts and disputes regarding housing issues.

Official Partners: Finance & Insurance