Internationals with Non-EU / EEA / Swiss nationality who wants to stay in the Netherlands for a period of maximum 90 out of 180 days, will need a Short Stay/ Schengen Visa depending on the nationality. This visa is for the entire Schengen area. The visa is requested at the Dutch embassy in your home country or the country where you legally reside. Such a Schengen visa only gives you the right to stay in the Netherlands for a maximum duration of 90 out of 180 days, it does not give you the right to work in the Netherlands, regardless for which purpose the Schengen visa was granted. So even with a Schengen visa for the purpose of business, you are not allowed to work in the Netherlands. 

Take into account that the definition of work in Dutch migration law is very broad, even an internship is work! A business meeting is also regarded as work, however such work is in the Netherlands exempted from having to have a work permit if it is regarded as accidental labour. There are more exceptions which fall within the scope of accidental labour for which no work permit is needed.  

If you want to hire foreign employees with a nationality from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will in most cases need to apply for a work permit. It is the responsibility of the employer to apply for it. There are different kind of work permits and residence permits with (partial) access to the Dutch labour market.

Official Partners: Formalities

Immigration and Naturalisation Formalities